Monday, April 12, 2010

Inquiry Plan (3 of 3)

I have completed the implementation of my inquiry plan with my students and will be posting my video this evening. Due to some challenges at the school where I work, I was unable to video the lesson where I used the song about the average. Instead, I choose a YouTube video with song to present the meaning of percent. While the students where engaged, they were not quite as excited as they were with the "average" song.

After I had finished implementing my inquiry plan, I polled the students and asked them to write down which of the lessons included instruction that they felt helped them learn most effectively. The hands down favorite was either of the lessons that involved songs. Next was the pair grouping lesson. The least favorite lesson by a large margin was the lesson where they had to write how graphs can be lisleading. In response to my second blog, Professor Clarke suggested using different mediums on which the students can write their responses. I am going to try that suggestion and see if that makes any difference. I am willing to try anything to help my students not view writing as this huge, horrible thing.

Overall, I learned that anytime I can incorporate music and/or songs my students will benefit. I too will benefit because if the students are more engaged, there are fewer discipline problems. I took the insight that I learned from my inquiry plan and tried it with other classes. In one class, I offered extra credit points to any student who wrote a song about the topic we were discussing. These students asked if they coud "perform" their song for the class. Of course I allowed it and the students had a great time and this activity helped some of them learn the content.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on successfully completing your inquiry plan and videotape. I wish I could say the same. I am not sure why I am not ready to videotape as quickly as the rest of my group mates, but I will have it finished by the end of the week. I like the way you polled the students to find out their thoughts on the activities. Also songs certainly help students remember certain skills and I love using them in my groups whenever possible. I am glad you were able to use the inquiry plan with your other classes. I can’t wait to see it. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished watching your video and will send you my comments but you did answer many of them in this blog. I do like how you adapted the music idea to your other classes- especially about writing their own songs. This will certainly appeal to your musical kids but also others who need a change of pace. I also like what you did with the self- assessments. It sounds like you were in agreement with the students about what worked best.

    ReplyDelete