Saturday, February 13, 2010

Domain 1

I picked domain one "Planning and Preparation" because i feel that understanding my content area is one of my strengths. In addition, I spend a lot of time and effort planning quality instructional activities to allow the diverse student body that I teach to be as successfula as possible. I am a huge fan of Howard gardner's multiple intelligences. I strive to address as many of those intelligences as often as I can. For instance, when I teach integers and absolute value, I have the students form a human number line. Other students are then given a number on a card and they have to find their place on the number line. In addition, I will say something like "Johnny is closer to Susie than Ricky is. Johnny's number has a greater value than Ricky's number." I will repeat the procedure on the positive side of zero, again using the student names. I lead the students to come up with the fact that if a number is to the right of another number, it is the larger number. Also, in this unit I use a song about integers. I have a cd of math songs that has a song called "The Integer Song". Months after the lesson, I can sometimes hear a student singing that song!
After what I have just written, it probably comes as no surprise that the component I am most comfortable with is component 1a "Demonstrating Knowledge of Content and Pedagogy". Content knowledge, as I stated previously, is one of my strengths. I love math. I love teaching math. I was very fortunate as an undergraduate to be a part of a program called the "Explorers Math Program." This program was desigened to allow an undergraduate to explore the field of math education before they had reached a point where it would be difficult to change their major. I was a part of this program for the last 3 years of my undergraduate work. There was a professor, who was in charge of this program, who taught me more about HOW to teach math than any of my coursework classes combined. She taught the developmental math classes at the college I attended and, under her direct supervision, she allowed me to plan lessons and to deliver the instruction. After I had taught a lesson, she would constructively point out ways that I could be more effective or ways that I could incorporate different learning styles. The knowledge I gained during that time with her was invaluable.
The component I would like to zero in on is component 3c "Engaging Students in Learning." as my previous posts might have suggested, engaging students is not an easy task. The students of today are so bombarded with information and they are so much a product of a society that wants the quick fix, that engaging them in the learning process can sometimes be very difficult. My questions to others include: "What specific things do you do to help engage your students?"; "How do you deal with student apathy?"; "How do you handle that student who does not want to do the work, does not want to learn the concept you are teaching and then turns around and becomes a discipline problem?" I look forward to hearing any feedback that anyone is willing to give.

5 comments:

  1. The student who does not want to learn and chooses to be disruptive is an issue we all have to deal! Rewarding good behavior seems to work the best. I have recently set up a reward system within my classroom. I got tired of talking to them about not doing their work and yelling. So, I decided that insteade I would reward the students who do what they are supposed to be doing in hopes that the ones who make the opposite choice will see what they are missing out on and begin to do their work as well. It seems to be working so far...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have raised the number one issue in instruction- keeping students engaged. If they are not engaged then it does not matter what we teach. I think your example of taping multiple intelligences is a great way to get students to be involved in their learning. There is a wonderful book called "Through the Cracks" by Sollman that talks about how we loose kids by us doing too much talking and them not doing enough doing. We need to work really hard to keep things varied, engaged, and captivating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, I have found that keeping the students are busy keeps them learning. Every 10 minutes I mix up the instruction. 10 minutes of notes, 10 minutes of collaborative learning, 10 minutes of independent practice, and 10 minutes of board work, and the list continues. However some days there might be direct instruction, hands on practice, collaborative learning activity, computer instruction.

    There are those students to refuse to complete work, participate, etc. Sometimes I have them complete shorter assignments, but for the same credit, there are times they when the student will work and won't.

    I have a student that won't work, he is more than capable of the work, just choosen not to. I have had conversations with him and he just says he doesn't care. At first, I thought this was a problem with me, but after talking to other teacher, there is a concern. My adminstration has stated, "Some students just can't be saved." That is very frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Engaging students is a concern in every school. I love the different ideas each of you have posted and shared. Gardner's multiple intelligences helps to bring students into the classroom rather than let their minds wonder. It is encouraging to hear teachers being positive and creative in their classroom. It's exciting to know teaching doesn't have to just be pencil and paper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with Amy in trying to reward students who have good behavior and do their assignments, etc. We all know that this is what we should do but just correcting the behavior and dealing with the negative issues sometimes seems like the easiest, quickest way to react. I try to respond positively but really need to set up some kind of system that she was talking about to make things more consistent.

    It seems that you have some really good ideas when teaching certain math concepts. I really look forward to working with you and the other group members in supporting each other and giving new ideas. While my little kindergarteners are much lower that the groups you teach, I am sure I can get some wonderful ideas from you. I would be interested in knowing the math CD you get some of these songs from. I love to use songs and other interesting rhymes, etc. to help students remember key concepts. I still remember little chants, sayings, songs from when I was in elementary school.

    ReplyDelete